There are so many ways to “go green” that also benefit your wallet.
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: If you’re canadian and comfortable with online banking, and you want an alternative to the Big Banks, www.citizensbank.ca is for you. Here’s why:
- Carbon Neutral (for real. When I worked there, there were many incentives for staff to commute to work, and we were nearly paperless among other things)
- Free chequing, high interest savings
- Owned by a co-op. You get to nominate and vote on who (which NGOs) get the profits
- If you get a visa with them, fees are the same as the others, points are comparable, and every time you use it, the bank donates 10¢ to Amnesty/Oxfam
- And I used to work there! And can testify that the vast majority of the time you will receive service that beats the pants of other banks (possibly excepted by TD, which I hear also gives great service most of the time)